Sunday 10 June 2012

Poinsettias



This Spellbinder - Poinsettia is just beautiful and it's so easy to make these flowers.  It comes with 4 different size petals so you can use them all and have a big flower or use just the smaller ones for a smaller flower.  This is the card that I made with them - even though Christmas isn't for a while!

I started with a white card base and layered brushed gold metallic cardstock (sorry I don't know the name of it) and then SU - Cherry Cobbler.  I used Spellbinders - Floral Ovals to cut the brushed gold fancy oval.  This is another set that I have used a lot -it's just perfect for so many cards.  The inside oval is SU - Very Vanilla cut with Spellbinders - Classic Ovals Small.  I embossed this oval with SU - Square Lattice folder.

For the large poinsettia I used all 4 of the flower dies and I cut each of them out twice in SU - Cherry Cobbler.  For the small flower I used just the 2 smallest dies and cut each of them out twice also in Cherry Cobbler.  I shaped the petals very softly on a soft mouse pad - the spellbinder embosses nice veins in the petals and I didn't want to loose these lines.  Most of the shaping was in the middle part of the flower so the center would be indented and the petals would flow up from there.  Once everything was shaped I glued the layers of petals together, slightly offsetting each layer from the last.  The flowers were then glued onto the card. 

The centers were done with Micro Beads, I used Recollections - Champagne.  Put a nice blob of glue that will dry clear in the center of the flowers and sprinkle the beads into the glue.  As the glue dried I tapped the beads down into the glue and shaped it a bit.  This way you can get the shape the you want and get rid of any beads that are sticking off.  As the glue continued to dry, the center fell inwards leaving a cool looking flower!

I added 3 poinsettia leaves in a medium green cardstock, these big leaves are part of the Spellbinder - Poinsettia.  The holly leaves were cut from some dark green cardstock using Martha Stewart - Holly punch.  A few leaves in white using Martha Stewart - Branch punch were added.  A flourish was placed using Die-namics - Leafy Flourish, I cut this from Recollections - Gemstones.  The last leaf was cut from a lighter green cardstock using Poppy Stamp die - Meadow Leaf.  Red berries were glued in around the holly leaves.

Thanks for looking :)



2 comments:

  1. I found this card you made on someone's pinterest board. This card is absolutely gorgeous! I'm surprised no one has left a comment here.

    ReplyDelete